2 cups of sugar
2/3 cup maraschino cherry syrup
3/4 tsp red food coloring
8 medium apples on sticks
Add the sugar to the cherry syrup and 3/4 cups of water and heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the food coloring at this stage and cook over medium heat until you reach 300 degrees on a candy thermometer. My mom could always eye ball it, but I was never so lucky. I always relied on the thermometer. When you reach the right temperature, swirl the apples in the syrup until each is well coated. Drain and then cool on a sheet of foil.
Wrap in squares of plastic wrap and tie with a length of ribbon!
Obviously, you might want to make more if they are for the entire class. I was thinking that you could make a batch of the "apple" candy apples and maybe a batch of rice cereal apples on a stick. Roll the rice cereal apples in red sprinkles and the kids will think that you are a genius!!
Things To Consider
1. If these cookies are to be shared, be sure that you are aware of any allergies that your child’s friends might have.
2. Keep your own hands clean. While preparing the food, you will probably touch about a zillion different surfaces. Be sure to wash your hands often!
3. Read the recipe twice… at least. I have quickly scanned a recipe, that then completely missed the fact that I needed eggs. Yes, definitely been there and done that.
4. And be sure that you cover the page of the cookbook that you aren’t using. I have combined recipes more than once. Sometimes, I have gotten away with it, other times I haven’t! Better to be safe than sorry.
5. As you run out of ingredients, make sure that you write them down on a shopping list that you have tacked to the fridge. It makes baking so much easier if you actually have all the ingredients!
6. For best results, be certain that all of your ingredients are fresh. It does make a big difference.
7. I actually use a lot of powdered milk in my baking. That way I can make the amount I need and there is no chance that we will run out when breakfast time rolls around.
Find a bare spot on your kitchen wall and then choose your word... I personally like "Wish" but you get to choose your own word. ...
A little more upscale than we usually see for suspending bananas. And I hate bananas that ripen too quickly. They usually get passed along ...
After 40 years... yeah I know, I have a lot of stuff in that drawer than I don't need. I have lids that don't go with any pots and...
Speaking of microwaves... see Jan 18, when they first arrived on the scene everyone was using them for EVERYTHING. I even remember goin...