Friday

Summer Time Coleslaw

This coleslaw  recipe has drifted around our kitchen for years and years. To be quite honest, I don't even know where it came from, but my mom would never have even thought about simply driving to a supermarket and buying it. With all of the cabbages that dad grew in the garden, we needed lots of ways to work our way through our supply. And cooked cabbage wasn't one of my favorites. Actually it tasted so bad that mom would set out the vinegar bottle just so that it could perk up the flavor. So, I was more than happy when she would make coleslaw! It's what summers are all about... and I still love the stuff!!

Ingredient List


½ cabbage

celery, carrots and green onion (mom used as much as she needed to accommodate a growing family.

2 tsp salt (I try to use less now)

¼ cup oil

1/4 cup vinegar (there's that vinegar again lol)

juice of 1 lemon

salt and pepper to taste



1. Shred your cabbage, celery, carrots and green onion.  You are going to want to get as much of the moisture out as you can so, sprinkle salt, allow to sit for a while and then squish out as much of the liquid as you can.

2. Prepare the dressing and then drizzle over the coleslaw. It's pretty much up to you as to how much dressing you use. Start with a little bit and see what kind of comments you get.

And don't simply go by this recipe. Get as creative as you like. I have often tossed in handfuls of nuts, apple bits... you really can't go wrong. Okay, I don't think that chopped boiled egg would work, but on the other hand, I have never tried, so you just never know!!



Before you leave, why not sign up to follow me. Something new every day! :) It's in the far column to the right!

No comments:

How To Cut An Onion...

I don't know who taught me to chop onions, but whoever it was, didn't know any more than I did. Apparently you aren't supposed ...